I will be the first to admit that I love bagels! Give me a warm and/or toasted bagel, topped with a little cream cheese and I am in heaven.
When I stumbled across this recipe for homemade bagels that only had 2 ingredients, I was skeptical, especially when I realized what the 2 ingredients were! Ok, truthfully there are 4 ingredients, but the 3rd and 4th and minimal.Who would think that self rising flour and plain Greek yogurt can be mixed together to make bagels? I figured I’d at least give it a try so I picked up some self-rising flour and got to work.
I tried these for the first time today. After combining the flour and yogurt, I will admit that the dough was a lot stickier than it should have been. I was not able to “roll” it out into logs to form my bagels. It was just too sticky! I didn’t want to add too much flour but in hindsight, I probably should have added more. I worked with what I had and cut my dough into strips and put it on the pan in a circle to form the “bagel”
After a quick egg wash and seasoning to the top, into the oven they went. 22 minutes later, I had fresh hot bagels!
1 cup Self-Rising Flour
1 cup non-fat plain Greek Yogurt
1 egg beaten (to be used as egg wash)
your favorite bagel seasoning
- Combine flour and yogurt to form a soft dough
- Kneed dough gently on floured surface
- Divide into 5 pieces and roll into “logs”
- Attach ends together to form into bagel shape and place onto lighted greased pan
- Brush with egg wash and top seasoning
- Bake at 350 for 22 minutes
* Be sure to liberally flour your counter and hands when working with the dough
What is your favorite bagel flavor and topping? Today’s afternoon snack: fresh warm bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon!